Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Ramblings of a Preschool Teacher

As I begin my 14th year of teaching I want to share some of the things I know for a fact... and some of the things I believe to be true. We will start with my favorite quote and what it means to me.  "A person's a person no matter how small" Dr. Seuss - I believe this quote so much that it is permanently inked on my right foot. Yes, children are little people, and they need love and protection. They learn and thrive in environments that they feel safe, secure, and loved! But they are also people with their own thoughts, feelings and ideas! They deserve to be respected, they deserve to be heard, and it's ok if they have a bad day! Do we as adults always have a perfect day? Of course not!!! They also can do more than we sometimes as parents think they can. We have been taking care of their every need since they were babies, and sometimes it's hard to admit to ourselves that they are capable little people! We want them to be independent and able to take care of themselves. At preschool if they spill their milk they happily clean it up, they help take off their sheets and bedding on Fridays (they love this! they always ask is it Friday!) We encourage them to always try and never say I can't! If they try and still can't we will happily help.... putting on shoes, pulling up pants etc.  Our children cleanup after themselves (some better than others, but all are encouraged to help. Sometimes we make a game out of it, and for some just asking them to clean up the blocks or kitchen center works) It is their toys, their classroom, and they take pride in cleaning, organizing, and knowing where their toys are the next free choice time! They are able to work out 85% of their disagreements on their own. We always stand back and listen until we need to step in. Most of the time they are great negotiators!!

Product vs Process

"I can't do it"... this is what I hear from new enrolled kiddos. My answer yes you can! There is no right or wrong way to do it. Your Mom/Dad want to see what you can do not what I can do. Cookie cutter art (everyone's looks the same, most of the work done by the teacher) looks cute, but how much of the work was done by the child? How are they able to bring out their creativity if everyone's looks the same. My kids that have been enrolled for awhile never say I can't when art material is sat in front of them. They know I will love it and ask questions about it... Doesn't matter if it is a black dot, 5 yellow lines, a red scribble or a castle. The point is it means something to them. It doesn't matter if it looks like something... it does to them. Ask about their art work! It's always a wonderful story! At PLA we are more interested in the process of the table activity than the finished product. It needs to mean something to your child when a teacher does most of the project the child feels they can't or they aren't good enough. They also lose that creativity if you show them exactly what to draw, paint, cut etc...

My job is to build confident well rounded free thinking students. I want my Graduates to be problem solver, and think outside the box kind of students! 




No comments:

Post a Comment